Eight Ways to Style an Apple Body Type

One of the reason I started the style portion of this blog is to showcase how I dress my body shape. My body type is not perfect. I'm petite (didn't think I was though until I started shopping online and read the definition of petite), apple shaped, big chested and small hipped (my hips are actually bigger than average but in relation to my heavy top they look small). So here are eight ways to hide that pooch without Spanx.

1. Avoid clingy and thin material

Bad
Good

2. Define your waist. This can be tricky sometimes and doesn't work always.



3. Wear empire waist styles



4. Wear mid rise pants and jeans to avoid a muffin top



5. Layer with a cardigan or jacket


6. Choose dresses that have a band or elastic over the mid section.

Band
Elastic


7. Go Fit and Flare and embrace pleats. Magnifying another part of your body minimizes and draws the eyes away from the problem area. 




8. Wear a camisole under everything and the right underwear. On days I don't wear a body shaper, I wear camisoles to hold things in a little and provide a good base. I'm wearing a camisole in all these pictures. Tip: Buy your camisoles one or two sizes smaller. Make sure your bra fits and lifts to separate your belly from your chest and wear underwear that holds you in. I avoid skimpy lowrise underwear.

.....And when all else fails, I wear a body shaper.

How do you hide your body imperfections?

Linking up for Ifb Project #100

Link ups: Style Elixir










9 comments:

  1. These are really good tips. I'm a fan of the empire waist dress myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips!! You look great in every look :)

    Thanks so much for linking up with Style Sessions!

    Lauren xx
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this, I have the same body type so this is really helpful to me.
    I usually run from the empire waist but i love that pix of you in the floral top dress, so i am going to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips. I'm a petite (5") apple shape also, and use these tips to make me look good and feel comfortable in my outfits. You look great in all your choices, love the use of bright primary colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips! I have a thick waist and large bust for the first time in my life. So the more tips I get for dressing it well, the better. I like how you did examples of bad and good, especially the first one about thin fabrics. Thanks for the tips.
    Donna
    Www.prettysparklythings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana@DeathbyGreatWallJune 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM

    Oh, I could just hug you! Having four babies and getting older has turned me into an apple shape, when I never was before. I've been working on building a wardrobe, and as I do that, I notice that none of the models I'm pinning are shaped remotely like me. Thank you so much for the tips. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these great ideas!! I'm also an apple shape, but tall. So hard to find flattering clothes! You look great in all of these outfits, but especially in the green dress under #6!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog from Putting Me Together and I am hooked. We have a similar body type and I am looking forward to recreating your looks with my own closet. Keep up the GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete