Iro and Buba: An African Attire

I just wanted to give you a taste of my Nigerian culture by showing you one of my African attires. I've actually worn a couple on this blog. This style is called the iro and buba (pronounced as it is spelled) and it is one of the oldest and most popular styles custom made and worn by many. Since most African attires are custom made, they fit perfectly and flatter any body shape. The top part (buba) is slightly loose fitting and the bottom part (the iro) is just a rectangular piece that is tied around the waist. You can wear it long or short. As you can see, the style disguises my apple shape. The last time I wore this outfit was 10 years ago and it still fits even though I've gained a bit of weight since then. I've also kept this simple by not wearing a gele (head tie) as seen here.

Teal eyeshadow, Teal and maroon, burgundy
iro and buba, teal pumps, style and co maalia pumps

Outfit - Custom made
Necklace - Michael Kohs via Macy's / Similar Similar
Hand Bag/ Clutch - Nine West


Thanks for Reading



9 comments:

  1. I've always loved the colors in most African Attire, never drab or boring. I'm also glad to finally learn the name of one of one of the styles: Iro and Buba. What I love even more....are those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, it looks so good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! The hemline is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful! And definitely flattering. My Aunt and Uncle live in Uganda and I love hearing my aunt describe how the ladies dress, always so beautifully and with the fanciest shoes! You definitely fit that description!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year! This is so gorgeous and flattering. I love the vibrant colors and the shoes set it off perfectly. I grew up in Texas where many of my neighbors were from all over Africa and wore their traditional garments. Thank you for the taste of home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great outfit and very flattering on You. Happy Healthy 2014!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely outfit and nice blog. I am inviting you to visit me at http://shesclassic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I love it!

    xo, Kenya

    www.kenyalfashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete